See Cinderella on Sunday 8 August

The author says:

The play is an adaptation inspired by the numerous variants of the well-known tale as well as a desire to tell a story about love and magic that felt grounded in reality… Cinderella is a strong, intelligent young woman who is happy enough in her work and life, but for the cruelty of her stepmother and stepsisters.  Prince Arren is a thoughtful, kind and slightly awkward young man who doesn’t feel comfortable in his role as prince of the realm.

The publisher says:

Cinderella is a new play by Matt Beames with lyrics by Kayleigh Benham that is a witty updating of the classic fairy tale. As the feast of midwinter approaches, the King wishes to find a suitable partner for his eldest son and heir to the throne, Prince Arren. He decrees a Midwinter Ball and all across the land his excited people prepare for the big celebration. But in a small shoe shop close to the palace, one young woman sits at her workbench, carefully making shoe after shoe after shoe… Poor Cinderella has so much work to do, she can’t hope to go to the Ball, however much she might wish to… but sometimes dreams really do come true!

The railings of Thornhill Square Garden

Many people have been grateful for the open space of Thornhill Square Garden during the last year and have helped with the gardening led by Anna McKane.

However, the original listed Victorian cast iron railings around the garden are deteriorating alarmingly, with the east side being worse than the west. As the pictures above show, young children could escape through the holes in the railings onto the road and very heavy loose metal might fall on someone or even be taken as a weapon.

In the past Historic England has provided grants to repair a short section of the railings in a trial and to conduct a full survey of the defects in anticipation of completing the repair. Historic England remains keen to have the repair completed and to avoid wasting the earlier expenditure.

For thirty years we have been urging Islington Council to find ways in which the railings can be repaired before their final collapse. We are searching for such ways now.To obtain further information, make any helpful suggestions or ask to be kept informed please contact us.

The area in 1885, with later street name changes

Report of the Boundary Commissioners for England and Wales. 1885

This is an excerpt from Report of the Boundary Commissioners for England and Wales, 1885. It is available with other maps at London Ancestor. Click it to see it more clearly.

Posts such as that by taxi driver Michael Rose use different street names. In particular:

  • John Street became Lofting Road in 1898 to commemorate John Lofting (1659-1742), who was a merchant, a miller, a manufacturer of fire engines, and a manufacturer of thimbles, and who had at one stage a horse-powered thimble factory in Islington.
  • The western part of Lofting Road became Bridgeman Road in 1974 to commemorate Reverend Hon. John Robert Orlando Bridgeman (1831–1897), who was the vicar of St Andrew’s Church from 1872 to 1893.
  • Albion Grove became Ripplevale Grove in 1922 to commemorate Field Marshal John Denton Pinkstone French, First Earl of Ypres (1852-1925), who lived in Ripple Vale, Ripple, Kent.
  • Clayton Street became Tilloch Street in 1937 to commemorate Alexander Tilloch (1759-1825), who was the founder of the Philosophical Magazine, the founder of the Mechanics Oracle, the editor of the Star evening newspaper, and an inventor (especially in printing), and who lived at one stage in Islington.
  • Grace Street became Shirley Street in 1937 to commemorate John Shirley (1648-1679), who was an author and who lived at one stage in Islington.
  • Richmond Street became the northern part of Matilda Street in 1937.
  • Freeling Street was named after Sir Francis Freeling (1764-1836), who was a Secretary of the General Post Office, a postal reformer and an improver of the mail coach service.
  • Luard Street disappeared by 1966.
  • Carnoustie Drive appeared in 1973.
  • Shirley Street disappeared by 1974.

The information comes from Streets with a story: the book of Islington and Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Both are online. For the latter you need a public library membership number.